Thursday, July 25, 2013

Park City, UT: A Tactical Experience (1478.4 miles)

This morning, we drove into town and had a good breakfast at the Main Street Deli here in Park City. The plan for today is to go out and view a couple of properties with the realtor and get an idea of what's up for sale in and around the area. We don't have anything extremely fun planned, but we're both itching to try out the GoPro in an action situation, so a trip to the zip line or alpine slide isn't out of the question.

As you can expect, anticipation for the actual off-road segment of the trip is growing as we get closer and closer to our drive to Moab, our first off-road stop.

However, there is one issue that I simply need to address.

Many of you know my dad. You've worked with him. You live with him. You're related to him. Some of you don't know my dad (in some ways, consider yourself lucky). Regardless, if there's one thing you need to know about him, and if there is one way I think he would like to define himself, it would be summed up in one word: tactical.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've heard the word tactical in the last three days. If I hear it again, I might go crazy. I'll attempt to compile a short list of tactical things my dad has purchased, things that, because of their (tactical) nature, will undoubtedly make our trip that much more....tactical. I'm still not convinced.

We have a tactical suitcase. A tactical electronics bag. A tactical storage bag for the Jeep. Dad proudly displays his tactical iPhone case, tactical keychain, and tactical sunglasses. We've browsed three tactical websites on the computer just so we can feel a bit more tactical. He's wearing his tactical shoes, with, (you guessed it) his tactical socks. Unfortunately, its a tactical mismatch.

When he found out I hadn't brought the tactical belt he purchased for me along for the trip, he wouldn't speak to me for an hour, which usually wouldn't have been a problem, until you consider that we were crossing Nebraska. Have I mentioned that there isn't a lot going on in Nebraska? Every so often, I'll get reminded that I didn't have my tactical belt, so I couldn't rappel down anything, even if I wanted to. You guessed it...I don't want to rappel down anything. I don't even know how to rappel.

Maybe one of these tactical things will help us once we get to Moab. Until then, I'll continue to remind him that he invested his money into a regular suitcase with two more zippers and three more elastic straps and was led to believe it was somehow more "tactical." Like I said, I'm still not convinced.

Regardless, we're still having a wonderful time. We both agree that A&E or Discovery Channel could have made good money off of a reality show following our trip. At the least, I hope some of you are getting a sense of how ________ (insert adjective here) I am to be spending the next two weeks with my dad. If you asked me right now, I'd say I'm lucky.

The Jeep takes on Wyoming

1 comment:

  1. Wow - You've summed up DAD - TACTICAL- you forgot to mention the 5 p's and also the word "redundancy" which is also something he brings up frequently....always having a backup plan with redundancy - Love, his TACTICAL wife,

    ReplyDelete