Sunday, August 4, 2013

Colorado Springs, CO: BLT (2754.7 miles)

We drove from Snowmass Village to Colorado Springs today, which was another extremely scenic drive that left us at the Broadmoor. We actually traveled along the "Top of the Rockies Scenic Highway," the unintentional namesake of the blog, for quite a ways and it was a cool way to drive up and over another mountain pass (albeit on a paved road this time). It is truly amazing to think that the West was settled by people that traveled over many of the same passes we traveled over in the past few days in horse-drawn wagons. We traveled these passes by car, and we had a difficult enough time...hats off to the settlers who did it with so much less.

Now that we're at the Broadmoor, I feel compelled to share my dinner experience with the blogosphere.  We ate at the Golf Club, and I casually ordered a BLT, without reading the menu description in detail. The server asked how I wanted it cooked, and, though I was quite confused (what needs to be cooked to temperature on a BLT?) I said medium. This is what came:
Doesn't look like a BLT right? Actually, though, it was one of the most creative and imaginative dishes I've ever had. Instead of bacon, I was treated to a cutlet of pork tenderloin (right) and pork belly (left). Under the pork belly lies delicious tomato marmalade, which first was sweet but then provided quite a kick at the end. Obviously, seasoned and grilled lettuce capped the dish. When eaten as individual items, each was delicious; when combined, it made for one of the most delicious and unique BLT's I've ever had in my life.
Top of the Rockies 

Narrow Roads!

No comments:

Post a Comment